Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Turn of the Screw by Henry James

Another book I listened to during my Tampa trip. It wasn't my favorite and listening to this and driving I had to listen to it again because I missed a lot. It takes full concentration just to determine the code to the language in this classic.



Review:
I listen to audio books for fun and the outdated language in this classic dashed the fun out of it. I had to decipher the meanings of the words and strings of sentences. It reminded me of lit class in college.

Overall the story is a decent thriller. A nanny is hired to care for a couple children. The boy Miles is creepy from the beginning. As the story moves along he gets creepier and the nanny notices various 'otherworldly' occurrences. Throughout the story they get worse and she learns history about the family. I won't give away anything.


Other than the language, the wordings tends to be very flowery which maybe something common for the times the book was written. Overall it was okay, not my favorite and one I probably won't listen to again but I'm also glad I listened to it. It's something I should probably do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment