Popular Posts

Thursday, November 12, 2015

#NaNoWriMo

November is here again, and we're twelve days into it.

I'm doing NaNoWriMo again! This is the third year in a row. The first year I worried I'd ever meet the 50,000 word mark. I sighed relief when I looked at my manuscript and it was over 50,000.

Last year, a little experience under my belt, I wasn't worried about meeting the 50,000 mark. I was worried about having the time to get to the mark.

Year three. I have 21,513 words! I'm making steady progress and not worried about meeting 50,000 or having the time.

Every word I write gets added to my word count, including my blog posts. My work in progress after last night is approximately 23,000 and there's plenty to go. My characters keep putting unexpected twists into the plot and supernaturals I hadn't thought of when the novel started are now guiding the game, tossing light balls and killing vampires.

NaNoWriMo is a time for inhibited writing, letting the words flow, and checking over the manuscript later. I'm sure I have typos and areas that need more or less developing but that'll come in December when I read it. Until then I refuse to read it.

As a nine time published author. The key to word count is writing and not worrying. Don't stress over the grammar or parts you don't like just write them. Write anything, deviate from your WIP because its not about that it's about opening the creative flood gates and writing. 

NaNoWriMo is also about meeting personal goals. So what if you don't make 50,000? There is no huge bonus cheque, and the world isn't going to end. Make small goals such as writing 1,000 words a day - reward yourself when you meet the goal. And when your proud of your 15,000 and see your writing buddy has 78,000 don't freak or compare yourself. Keep writing. 

Sure, if all we had to do was stare at our computers and write words we'd all blow away 50,000 whether the words made sense or not, however, we have jobs and responsibilities. Many times I hear my story talking, but can't write it at that moment whether I'm driving or working. I suck it up, allow my characters free reign inside my head and go to town when I can sit on my computer and plug away. Before I know I've got 2,000 words, 8,000 words and so on.

To all NaNoWriMo goers, keep writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment