Popular Posts

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Be Sublime



An all time favorite chemistry lab for my students and I, is the sublimation lab. Here we take dry ice, place it in water and watch the temperature drop while the dry ice goes from solid form to carbon dioxide gas. 

This experiment is so easy that you can do it at home, all you need is a glass, thermometer, dry ice, and tongs. Be sure not to touch the dry ice as it's cold and will burn. Dry ice or frozen carbon dioxide can be found at your local grocery store for somewhere around $15. If you plan on waiting any amount of time to do the activity, I advise not waiting long, place dry ice in a cooler as it will sublime at room temp fairly quickly.

I couldn't video record my students so I made the video after school.


No comments:

Post a Comment